“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” (Matthew 6:33)
Watching a river suddenly rising to its full capacity, with a current that is not the norm, one gets a very uneasy feeling of will it slow down or continue to raise more. One thing is for sure … we don’t want to get caught up in the swift current.
Our lives … starting with whatever point you want to begin … are like that swift moving current of the river. James reminds us in James 4:14, “For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.”
We all know that when a new day begins, 24 hours, 1,440 minutes, 86,000 seconds are credited to our account if the Lord wills that we live that allotted time. We all understand the Lord has told us how He wants us to live them and He also tells us that how we spend them is a true measurement of what is most important in our hearts and lives!
Because our common enemy, Satan, wants to own our souls and those of our children, we must be “… sober and vigilant” of his ways and devices or methods. Just as he did his very best to woo the early Hebrew Christians back to the darkness of sin from which they had been rescued by the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross of Calvary, even so today he has made his necessary adjustments, re-colored that which he dangles before us, and works persistently at what he does best … cost the souls of men a life of blessing now and eternity with our Father in Heaven!
- Is Satan keeping us so busy with life and living that we have little or no time to pray to God, study with Him, reflect with Him and serve Him?
- Is our adversary successful in persuading us to place way too much emphasis on the things of life?
- Are we working way too much just to have things?
- Is Satan finding success in discouraging us from spending family time together?
- Has Satan found success in crowding out the “still, small voice of the Lord” with the TV constantly blaring, images and language that just should not be found or heard in a godly home?
- Is Satan finding success in your life and those of your spouse and children by enticing you to spend way too much time on the internet, your cell phone or other media outlets?
I am telling you that right now there are young couples and families, older couples, and even grandparents who are not happy spiritually, and in large part because our adversary is so successful in loading so much into our hearts, lives, backpacks, that it truly is difficult to take another step!
I want to encourage everyone who reads these words to give some thought-time to them and see where improvements can be made. We can all do better!
God has given each of us the ability to make the changes we need to make in order to “seek first His kingdom and righteousness.” What an awesome God we can serve at all times in life!
Bill Fairchild, Jr.
P.S. How are you doing on your daily Bible reading?