“This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it.” (Psalm 118:24)
Unashamedly I can proclaim that I like ice cream … especially Blue Bell ice cream. One of my daughters says that ice cream is the solution to soothe a bad day and settle all issues! Smart daughter!
Someone once wrote “life is like a bowl of ice cream, it melts very quickly so enjoy it while it lasts.” Surely this anonymous person was referring to my beloved Blue Bell or to Dairy Queen!
The Bible reminds us often of the value of today. Numerous passages urge the reader to remember the importance of living for today … the significance of using the day wisely as opportunities present themselves only briefly … of choosing to live in God’s way by His will in view of the coming Judgment!
Jesus would say this to us in Matthew 6:31-34, “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”
It can be a very hard lesson to both learn and apply that yesterday is long gone for us to be fretting and worrying about! What’s done is done and we have the responsibility to benefit from past mistakes, ask for forgiveness and make the changes necessary to live today better than we did yesterday!
It can also be a hard lesson to both learn and apply that tomorrow may never be ours to enjoy. As my other daughter use to say before starting third grade, “Maybe Jesus will come and I won’t have to worry about it!” Smart daughter!
But today … today is so precious for so many reasons because it is now and we are here and we must make the most of this day!
So here are a few suggestions to use in order to live today even better:
- Ask the Lord to give you the strength to do what needs to be done.
- Ask the Lord to give you the eyes so that you can see beyond the imperfections in yourself and in others!
- Ask the Lord to give you the tongue of a wise person who speaks what is right.
- Ask the Lord to give you the ears that will enable you to listen to what needs to be heard!
- Ask the Lord to give you the hands that are needed to reach out to others and help them!
- Ask the Lord to give you a heart that values life, the Lord, the souls of others and the unfathomable blessings he provides each of us every day!
May each of us see the wisdom found in living today as if it were to be our last day on earth and live today with a view to living eternally!
“Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness?” (2 Peter 3:11)
Bill Fairchild, Jr.