“Help, Lord …” (Psalm 12:1, NKJV)
You know the feeling, don’t you! We all know the feeling when it rises up in our hearts … when it brings tears to our eyes … and when it generates a deep gnawing pain way down in our hearts. Oh yes, we all know how it feels!
God’s Word has a great deal to say about the power and the efficacy of prayer. His Holy Book addresses prayer in many different ways, much like looking at a glass prism that turns before the eyes and offers its beautiful perspectives from every angle.
God wants us to pray! He has preserved throughout the Old as well as the New Testament example after example of great prayer warriors. Perhaps one of the most prolific and active described is the Apostle Paul!
Included in each of his inspired epistles are prayers in behalf of the brethren and the cause of Christ! Admirable subjects to present before the throne of God. But sometimes we forget that Paul was a man with needs, faults and emotions like us!
Among the list of his prayers are found his personal requests that were indeed heavy on his heart. He knew the power of prayer … the value of prayer … the way of prayers as communication with the Lord! (Romans 15:30-33; 2 Corinthians 1:10-11; Ephesians 6:19, 20; Philippians 1:19-20; Colossians 4:2-4 just to name a few.)
There have been so many times in my life when prayers were being offered … even through the night by different brethren at specific times for my safety, well-being, and yes, even the sparing of my life from all across the country!
Where am I going with this? Our God is not only a promise-maker … He is a promise keeper! And He has promised to not only hear our prayers but to answer them as well. Those answers are not always what we thought they might be, but in the big picture, they were answered because He always knows best!
It is at this time in our lives … a time of deep discouragement, uncertainty, and yes, even doubts, that we need help … God’s help! We are concerned about ourselves for sure, but we are more concerned about those we love and care so much about!
While there are so many things that could be mentioned during these troubling times, there are a few that must be expressed. Hopefully, these thoughts will be expressed in a way that will give strength and encouragement.
We have such a loving Heavenly Father who wants us to come to Him with our concerns, our fears, our doubts, even our uncertainties about the future! Talk to Him in prayer my friend!
- We have such a loving Heavenly Father who wants us to come to Him in the midst of our trials … when the tears are flowing like a river … when the hurt is almost too much to even think about, much less express into words! Pray my friend!
- We have such a loving Heavenly Father who truly wants us to come to Him where we will find rest and comfort and peace in the knowledge that whatever happens, He is in control! Pray my friend!
- We have such a loving Heavenly Father that we can turn to anytime of the day or night where strength and comfort await in those dark hours of loneliness, despair, grief and sorrow that just won’t seem to go away! Pray my friend!
- We have such a loving Heavenly Father who is perfect in every way and who will always be greater than any loss or disappointment we may experience! Pray my friend!
- We have such a loving Heavenly Father who has not left us to try and make it on our own through whatever the difficulty! Pray my friend!
- We have such a loving Heavenly Father who is willing to forgive us for the doubting of Him or of His precious promises! Pray my friend!
- We have such a loving Heavenly Father who is so willing to forgive us when we thought He didn’t care, or when we thought we knew what was better for us than He did! Pray my friend!
Oh, we could go on and on with exclamations and affirmations … but may we never, ever, forget that NOTHING IS TOO DIFFICULT FOR THE LORD!
As the prophet of old proclaimed on God’s behalf, “For My thoughts are not your thoughts; nor are your ways My ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8-9. NKJV)
Life has always been hard and that won’t be changing anytime soon. But God never changes! So today … yea … every day … this servant of God will continue to pray for the sick of our number, the bereaved, the discouraged, the broken-hearted, the lonely, and the lost!
Yes … this is one of those days! In reality … every day is … isn’t it?
“Come to Me, all of you who are tired and have heavy loads, and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28, NCV)
Bill Fairchild, Jr.