“For they themselves declare concerning us what manner of entry we had to you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.” (1 Thessalonians 1:9-10, NKJV)
It is springtime and in Texas, that means the coming of storms. Not just any storms that include lightning displays and thunder that shakes the windows. No, many of the storms in spring include hail … and yes … tornadoes! When the weather folks warn us of the possibility of hail … sometimes their warning is just that.
Conditions are right for hail to come, but the way weather can change so quickly, often it does not occur, and everyone is thankful! But when it does, it usually starts out as little marble or pea size … and when that starts if you are out and about in your vehicle you look for the nearest awning or covering to protect your vehicle and yourself.
This happened to my wife and me a couple of weeks ago. We were fortunate enough to have a service station nearby and pulled underneath the covering along with everyone else who was near and could fit.
But there were many more that waited a bit too long, or were too far away, who just had to sit in the parking lot and take the beating! It wasn’t a pretty sight to see.
Folks don’t always listen to the warnings of others …
- For instance, with heavy rains comes flooding, yet so very often we hear of someone driving into a flooded low place only to discover it was much deeper and flowing faster than anticipated. Disaster occurs … loss of life happens!
- For instance, when storms are predicted for the immediate area and the sirens are sounded … some people just ignore them … taking for granted there will be no problem. Disaster occurs … loss of life happens!
- We shake our heads and we wonder how in the world someone could ignore such serious warnings … yet they do!
Folks don’t always listen to the warnings of God either!
- He tells us in His Book of our need to hear His words and to accept them as truth in order to be saved. Yet … so many choose to ignore His teachings. Disaster occurs … loss of eternal life happens!
- He warns us there is a Day of Judgment coming … a Day when His Son will descend from Heaven with trumpets sounding to judge the world! Yet … so many choose to ignore His teachings. Disaster will occur … loss of souls for eternity will happen!
In all of these scenarios, we might ask WHY … why do so many choose to ignore the warnings of life … and of eternity. Storms happen … they may vary in their danger and intensity … and it can become easy to just assume and hope for safety!
But when it comes to the warnings from God … He is the One who always keeps His word … who will do exactly as He has said He will do!
My question for each of us to reflect on is this: What if today is the Day He returns? Like the old hymn teaches … There’s A Great Day Coming! And the chorus line reads “Are you ready … are you ready … are YOU ready for the Judgment Day?
There will be no place to hide … to run to in order to escape … just a certain meeting with the Lord!
Are you ready? Are you serving the living and true God and His Son Jesus who alone delivers from the wrath to come? You must make the call … not on hope so … but on know so!
“But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.” (2 Peter 3:10, NKJV)
Bill Fairchild, Jr