“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 (NKJ)
Certain people just stand out … don’t they? I know a number of men who are in the range of 6”5’ and taller … and they always stand out.
But the standing out I’m talking about has nothing to do with physical stature … it has everything to do with spiritual character!
Today, we call it ‘mentoring’. When someone who has become accomplished at a job or task or just life itself … and they develop a relationship with someone who is usually younger and they help them to grow into becoming a better person.
It was that way with Joshua … born in the slave camps of Egypt … he became the assistant to Moses … he watched, he learned, he applied all of this information and made it his own!
May I make this application at this point in our writing? Thank you, I believe I will! If you and I want to become people of God … then we need to surround ourselves with those who are godly, like-minded … people who want to go to Heaven just as much as we do.
Joshua has been dead for many centuries, but his example of faith, trust, obedience, and courage live on. Quite frankly, I want in my own life what Joshua demonstrated in his life!
- I want the kind of faith that Joshua had … knowing as the Apostle John writes about so frequently in his inspired letters that “… faith is the victory that overcomes the world.” (1 John 5:4,5) Joshua, well, he was truly a man of deep faith. You see … faith is a choice … and I choose faith … just like Joshua did!
- I want the kind of trust in God that Joshua had … knowing as the writer of Psalm 112:7 says, “… they confidently trust the Lord to care for them.” Joshua trusted in God’s ability to do for them what they could not do for themselves … and He hasn’t changed! You see … trust is a choice … and I choose to trust in God … just like Joshua did!
- I want the kind of obedience to God that comes from the heart just like Joshua had … knowing that as the Lord Himself said, “If you love Me, keep My commandments.” (John 14:15) God has never nor will He ever force us to obey Him! You see … obedience is a choice … and I choose obedience to God … just like Joshua did!
- I want the kind of courage that Joshua had … knowing that it is built and established on one’s desire to succeed with God’s help! The Apostle Paul would write, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13) This kind of courage is not blind … it is not forced! You see … courage is a choice … and I choose to be more courageous in every aspect of my life … just like Joshua did!
- I want the same reward that Joshua received! Not a physical piece of real estate but a “mansion in Heaven prepared by the Lord Himself.” (John 14:3, 4) Throughout the entirety of God’s Book … we see that great rewards come to those who do God’s will! So I choose to look for the rewards God has promised to the faithful (Revelation 2:10) … just like Joshua did!
My friend, brother, or sister in Christ … faith, trust, obedience, and courage enabled Joshua with the Lord’s help, guidance, and protection … to become the strong leader that he was!
It was never about Joshua … it was always about God! Maybe more of those who lead God’s people could learn a lesson or two from Joshua!
Joshua was often bombarded by other voices, but he chose to follow God, and he did it faithfully! I want what he had. Do you?
Bill Fairchild, Jr.