“… That you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world.” (Philippians 2:15)
When a newborn child begins to get their bearings and can start to focus on objects around them, it is both amazing and amusing to watch. And almost daily, their focus becomes clearer … they reach for, grab and hold on to a mother’s hair, a dad’s glasses … whatever they can grasp.
In the same way when we begin to grow and develop as both young people and adults, we should be developing a better sense of grasping for, reaching for and desiring to better understand who God is … what exactly does He require of us … and how can we be nearer to Him rather than all the pretties of this world that are temporary at best!
It would be most interesting to hear the various answers folks young and old might offer up when asked “what does our world need now?” The list would include answers that could be self-serving, or more political in nature, to simply answers for the general benefit of mankind.
If you were asked this question, what would your answer include? The apostle Paul encouraged the brethren who made up the church in Philippi to live good lives in an otherwise dark world. He encouraged them to “shine as lights in the world.”
Consider the following ingredients that would make up these influential people way back then … and will make up influential people today at any age:
- People who cannot be bought at any price!
- People whose word is their bond!
- People who place character above success or wealth!
- People of integrity whether it be with small things or bigger things!
- People who will refuse to compromise with wrong!
- People who are true to their friends through the good times and the bad times!
- People who choose by their own will to believe and obey the Lord no matter what!
- People who are not ashamed to declare their faith in God, their trust in His inspired Word, and their love for the Lord, His people and the souls of all men!
- People who are not ashamed or afraid to stand for the truth but who do so with love and malice toward none!
- People who can say “NO” when it seems everyone else is saying “YES!”
Folks, time is swiftly passing by … the Lord’s patience can only last for so long … those of us who have already lived for a number of years must be considering the legacy we are even now going to leave!
“For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.” (2 Chronicles 16:9)
Bill Fairchild, Jr.